“What are your fractions?” I was once asked by someone in the USA who claimed Irish heritage. “One sixteenth” came the proud reply. We are dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations along with the fun of an active bike vacation in Ireland.
A unique bike tour offering, you can now follow in the footsteps of your ancestors, learn all about the periods of mass emigration from Ireland, visit homesteads and museums, learn all about what life would have been like for them and, with the help of a professional genealogist, identify your lineage. We will be offering this unique experience all from the saddle of your bike!
Rosie O'Donnell finds her Irish roots
A pre-trip consultation (we recommend at least 12 weeks in advance) with an professional genealogist will help you identify the area from which your ancestors came. You will need to provide basic information such as:
- Family names and first names
- Approximate area (eg. “Co Cork” or better; “near Bantry, Co Cork”)
- Year they entered the USA, Canada etc.
- Marriage dates, subsequent birth dates of issue/children once in USA, Canada etc.
- As much relevant information as you can provide to us
We will meet with a local historian who will describe how life would have been for your ancestors during this period. We shall visit significant places of interest such as local places of worship and burial, markets (past and present), the local land owners house and property (of which it is likely your ancestors would have been a tenant), local resources (eg. Libraries and Land Registries).
Where possible, we will make contact with any living relatives you might have in the area and arrange for you to meet with them - perhaps in their family home!
If we are researching more than one family, and in more than one region, then we can also design a tour which encompasses both families during the same trip; e.g. two full days allocated to each ancesteral family. Where there are more than two families to be researched then we would have to further customize the trip further and extend it into a second trip week. For this we would apply charges based on extra days, or by the week; whichever is the cheaper.
This is a 5 night, 6 day Fresh Eire Adventure including 5 nights accomodation on a B&B basis, 4 dinners, 3 lunches and all the usual extras and trimmings expected of a Fresh Eire Adventure like full vehicle support, all baggage transfers etc.
The tour will begin at either Dublin or Shannon Airport and will end at the closest city to the end of the trip so you can continue your adventure, or avail of a transfer to another city of your choice.
If, for example, you fly into Shannon Airport and we design a custom trip around your family heritage in County Cork, then your trip will begin in Shannon and will end in County Cork. At the end of your trip you can choose between an included transfer to either Cork City or back to Shannon Airport. If you'd like we can transfer you to Dublin for an extra charge. If you are planning on taking a Fresh Eire Adventures Dublin Extension package (such as the Dublin Gastronomy & Literature Weekend) then we will transfer you to Dublin with our compliments.
Our Classic accommodations include 3 and 4 star hotels and inns while our Deluxe accomodations include 4 and 5 star hotels.
Please talk to us today about designing the ultimate trip to Ireland for you and your family. We are the only Bike Tour company offering such a unique tour!
What are your fractions?
Martin Sheen talks about his fractions
Owing to the nature of the trip, all dates are customised. Please contact us to discuss your requirements. Generally we require up to 12 weeks advance notice so that we can do our best to research your ancestors and family tree.
Our Bespoke (made to measure) tours can be run according to the best start date for you. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
- Classic - From $5,495 pps. Single supplement $500
- Deluxe - From $6,795 pps. Single supplement $800
- Use of hybrid bike and helmet. More about our bikes
- Pre trip consultation with a professional genealogist and on-site meeting with him/her when you arrive.
- Transfers from Shannon on start/end day (or elsewhere by request)
- 4 exquisite dinners & wine
- 3 gourmet lunches & wines
- Admissions to all included attractions & tastings
- Baggage transfers
- Tips for hotels/restaurants
- Healthy snacks, water, full guiding services, support vehicle.
- 5 nights B&B in 3 & 4 star (Classic), 4 & 5 star hotels (Deluxe) with Full Irish or Continental breakfast
- Upgrade to a carbon road bike or e-bike at extra cost. More about our bikes
- Self-guided extension packages available in Galway, Dublin.
- Gratuities for guides
- Golf club hire (you are welcome to bring your own of course!)